Tuesday, May 7, 2013

PhilPOP Experience Part 1

This post is just part 1, because I feel that there'll be more thoughts about this whole experience. 

A few weeks ago my friend asked me if I could help out in adjudicating for this years set of Philpop entries. I  was more than happy to do so. I haven't been that pre-occupied in such a long time, so it was indeed a good break to have. Plus I already felt that it would be so much fun, but seriously I had no idea of what was going to happen.

The whole adjudication process took 6 days and had 4 rounds. For the first 4 days the adjudicators, had to trim down the 3,383 entries down to the top100 for the next round of adjudication.We only had short breaks in between just to rest our ears, clear the mind and stretch a little, grab some food to eat and back to work. It was like a system that was slowly creeping on each of us. We didn't even notice the time, we relied on what page we were and what song number we were listening to, to track down how long have we been in it. And oh, for the person with ADD, I had to sit down for hours, trying to contain myself as much as possible. One of the more challenging things I had to deal with, ever!!!  

For the first two days we were divided into 2, so we could cover more ground. I was part of the second group which can I just say, is such a great crowd to be with! We all started a little tensed since everyone was trying to measure how each of us 'work' . But as time progressed or should I say, as more songs were played we got the hang of it, we became a lot more comfortable with each other and had an actual system working for us, the feel became more relaxed and that was when the fun really started. Sadly most of what happened had to remain in the 4 corners of the room. 

On the third and fourth day, the groups were merged. Double the fun, double the pressure as well. The future of these songs are in their hands. Once it didn't make the cut, the chance of being in the top 12 were also gone. And it is amazing how this group of adjudicators were able to listen and single out the entries and pick those that really had the best potential in them and the future looked promising.

The following day, we also had to go through the same process to cut the top 100 to top 30. I have to say though that there were surprise entries in there and it was a pleasant/ welcome surprise. On our last and finally day we finally had to let go of some of the good songs, to have the top 12. If only we can squeeze everyone in the 12 and if only rules were followed from the very start!!! 

Since we're at the topic of the Top 12 now, can I just say that I'm so happy that some of my personal bets made it! Some of them have been my bet from the very start as in when I first heard the song while the others just grows on you after awhile. There were also songs that we wished we met the composers just because of how interesting their songs were. This top12 is as good as it gets! I, who have heard it for at least thrice already still wants to listen to these songs over and over again, its how good these songs are you'd definitely want more!!! These songs have this certain appeal and charisma that got them to the top. I can't wait for everyone to hear the full songs, and who will be interpreting which song. Anyway, here's the snippets of the Top12 songs who made it. Enjoy and take your pick.



Going in this whole thing I personally didn't know what to expect and how to deal with these people. Singers/ songwriters/ producers is super out of my league, and most of them are way older than I am. I needed time to warm-up but once we started at it, boom. I personally thought that we weren't only able to accomplish the task at hand but we were also able to form friendships in the process and I guess that was the best gain in this whole experience. I super enjoyed the 4 days that I was having problems letting go of them, even days after. Yup, I even went to the 3rd round adjudication even if  I wasn't supposed to. Ganun ako kaexcited for the results and ganun din ka-attached at the same time. But what I loved most about this experience was how I saw the top 12 unfold. How in the sea of thousands these songs stood out and spoke to their listeners. Its amazing how these12 songs excite me. You know how when you see a baby grow up and you feel elated that you witnessed a part of it, that's how I feel towards them. I could still remember our reactions when we first heard some of these songs and it makes me happy that even more people would be hearing it. For now we all just have to wait and see what's to come in the next couple of weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment